All B-26 Pilots & Co-Pilots were responsible for
going through this check list.
When they got to Check List No. 6, the pilot or co-pilot would answer out loud
as the other read off the list. This process was VERY IMPORTANT and pilots took it
VERY SERIOUSLY. This list was ALWAYS followed--their very lives depended on it!
CHECK LIST (Scanned and re-formatted from the original)
CHECK LIST NO 1
Before entering airplane:
1. Check PiTOT COVERS:
2. On each LANDING GEAR and WHEEL WELL, Check - Tires
for blisters cuts inflation and slipping.
01eo strut, minimum Inflation 3"
Brake Shuttle valve for looseness.
Down locks engaged.
Batteries for looseness and junction box cover for looseness.
3. Check ballast.
4. Nose Gear same as for No. 2 except 01eo strut will be minimum of 4.
5. Check Control Surfaces,
6. Check operation of Flaps.
CHECK LIST NO. 2.
After entering airplane:
1. Check emergency Bomb Bay Air
Bottle - Minimum 1500 lbs./sq.in.
2. Cheek hydraulic Reservoir - Fully serviced.
3. Check Accumulator - minimum 300 lbs./sq. in.
4. Fuel Transfer valves and pumps - Off.
5. Fuel Valves - On and Safetied.
6. Generator Switches and Cabin heat Control - Off.
7. Check emergency Brake Air bottle - Minimum 1000
lbs./sq. in. Check relief valve-- Closed.
8. Check Emergency Hydraulic Reservoir - fully serviced.
9. Check Form 1.
10. Have prop turned by hand 2 or 3 revolutions if not within previous hour.
CHECK LIST NO. 3.
1. Set parking brakes -
2. Throttles - Open 1/4
3. COWL flaps up.
4. Wing flaps up.
S. Landing Gear Control - down and safety latch on.
6. Superchargers - Low.
7. Oil cooler shutters - Up.
8. Carburetor Air cold - Up.
9. Hydraulic pressure minimum 500 lbs./sq.
10.Booster pumps off
11.Mixture Control - Idle cut off.
12.Propeller Control - high RPM,
13.Propeller switches - Automatic,safety on, feathering Normal.
14. Battery Switches - On except when cart in used.
15. Master Switch - On.
16. Auxiliary power plant connected into left engine.
17. Main Inverter Switch - On.
18. Magneto Switches.- On.
19. Booster pumps - On.
20. Starter energizing Switch - On 1/2 to 1 min., then
press engaging Switch
21. Primer - On as required while engaging.
22. Mixture control - Auto rich after engine fires.
23. Throttle - 800 - IOO0 RPM.
CHECK LIST NO. 4.
Warm up and Ground Check.
1. Booster pumps - Off.
2. Primers off.
2. Cowl flaps - Closed end reopened - Visual Check.
4. Oil Shutters - Same as No. 3.
5. Radio On.
6. Vacuum Pump - 3.5 to 4.5 in. Hg., Check left and right engine.
7. Set Gyros.
N. Auxiliary Power Plant - Off.
9. Set Altimeter.
10. Close Bomb Bay doors.
CHECK LIST NO. 5.
Engine and Prop check before take off.
1. Set engine speed at 2000 RPM.
2. Selector Switch - Manual and Check each Magneto separately.
3. Propeller Check - Reduce engine speed 200 RPM using decrease
position of Selector Switch then increase to
4. Check Feathering switch by decreasing RPM, and then return to
5. With Selector Switch in Automatic position decrease engine speed
200 RPM with Quadrant control, then
increase to 2000 RPM in the same manner.
6. Run both engines up to 1800, Engineer checks amps end volts for
paralleling. -Generator switches On.
7. Check Engine Instruments.
Oil temp - 60 - 80 degrees.
Oil Press. - 71 - 85 lbs./Sq. in.
Fuel pressure 15-17 lbs. /sq.. in.
Cyl. Hd. Temp. 100 - 205 degrees.
CHECK LIST NO. 6.
Before take off (Pilot answers Underlined)
1. Check flying controls for free movement.
2. Cowl flops - Up
3. Wing flaps - Down 1/4 to 1/2 required.
4. Remove landing gear control lack and cock safety
lock - removed and locked. 5. Supercharger - Low. 6. Oil Cooler shutters - Up - Except during cold weather.
7. Carburetor air - Up.
8. hydraulic pressure - 750 - 950 lbs./sq. in.
9. Booster pumps -On 10. Nose and main gear emergency control - Up.
11. Mixture Control - Auto rich.
12. Propeller Controls - high RPM
13. Propeller Switches - Automatic, Safety, Normal.
14. Batteries - On.
15. Main Inverter - On.
16. Generator main line switches. 0n.
17. Fuel Supply - Adequate.
18. Tabs - As required.
19. Hatches - closed and satisfied. 20. Crew - In position.
Check LIST NO. 7.
After Take Off:
1. Cowl Flaps - Neutral.
2. Wing Flaps - Neutral.
3. Landing gear control - Neutral.
4. Oil Shutter - Open -Neutral.
S. Carburetor Air Cold. - Neutral.
6. Booster pumps off at 1000 feet.
Check LIST NO. 8.
Before entering traffic for landing.
1. Trailing antenna and whip - In.
2. Superchargers - Low.
2. Mixture Control - Auto rich.
4. Booster Pumps - On.
5. Landing gear handle - Pull Up.
6. Fuel Supply - Adequate.
CHECK LlST NO. 9.
1. Propeller Controls - 2300 RPM.
2. Landing Gear - Down and Locked.
2. Hydraulic pressure - 750 - 950 lbs./sq. in.
CHECK LIST NO. 10.
After landing roll is completed:
1. Booster pumps - Off.
2. Propeller controls - high RPM.
2. Mixture Control - Auto Lean.
4. Cowl Flaps - Up.
5. Wing Flaps - Up.
6. 001 Shutters - Up
7. Carburetor Air - Up.
CHECK LIST NO. 11.
Idle - 2 min. at 500 - 1000 RPM.
2. Move mixture control to idle cut off.
3. Open throttles after engines stop firing,
4. Ignition switches and battery switches off
after engines stop turning over.
5. Brakes off after chocks have been placed.